
I have always felt Matthew has a timeless sense about him. The first time I met him he sat in the corner of a class I was TAing and looked contemplative. I immediately thought "Young Werther" and thus he was in my mind that 18th century tragic hero. The curly fair hair and antique spectacles* helped my illusion.
Then on our first date, Matt dressed up as a beatnik with thick-rimmed 1950s glasses. This made some of my roommates uneasy, not because they feared Kerouac, but because they feared the unknown.** I thought it was a big joke because my favorite was making roommates uncomfortable, but he looked at home in his get-up as much as in a t-shirt and jeans.
Later after we started dating, my opera-loving friend commented to my more cosmopolitan roommate that Matt often wore army surplus. My roommate, not having seen him in his army clothes, was somewhat troubled by this because she thought of the army surplusers as more conservative/traditional than her impressions of him. When she did see him in army surplus, she decided he wore it ironically.
I think his timelessness helped him fit in in Europe so well, not completely anachronistic but not completely sold on today, the combination of a duffel coat, England soccer jersey, fountain pen and ipod. But even in the Alps wearing completely normal clothes, he looks like a great romantic Caspar David Friedrich painting:
* Really, his glasses come from his grandmother's extensive antique collection. He put them on one day and he could see, so she made them a graduation present.
** Favorite roommate story from that year: I was listening to some British Asian music in my room when my roomie walked in and asked me if I could turn it off since the singer was swearing. I blinked, turned it off, and said "I didn't know you spoke Punjabi!"


4 comments:
Sarah you are completely right about Matt(of course you are you are married to him)
In my praise of Matt:
He stood aloof from the trouble of around him like the Eye of a storm.
Where emotion flew as fetid winds
He was not stirred oft to wrath
Instead with a raised eyebrow and a smirk he turned tragedy on it's head with satire and wit.
I remember my first impressions of Matt. He was aloof from the troubles around him but able to comment on them and open your eyes to something so much more. To me he was on of the old boys of the Gentler Era who had been deposited in this Post Apocalyptic Nightmare of the Modern Era. Where many would have died of fright he rolled up his sleeves and went to work becoming a island outside of time.
Matt is so assure of himself and that is something I am damn jealous of. I am glad to be considered his friend although for the life of me I cannot see why I am considered as such.
Well enough lavishing praise upon the head of poor Matt
Matt has always struck me as timeless. Particularly when he gave a club lecture on medieval warfare, and dressed in his (one of the World Wars, Matt would have to tell me which one) military uniform, and someone made a smart alec comment about him still fighting a war, and Matt in all serious said something to the effect the war was still continuing, yet to be won ( I know I'm murdering the entire interchange), and for a moment, I could really believe that Matt was fighting in a war, one of the world wars.
Thora
Matt does indeed have a handsome moustache. Although not a full beard, any facial hair is better than no facial hair. Papa
Enjoyed this post--a well written tribute.
Post a Comment