"The crossword today mentioned Goethe."
"Really? What was the clue?"
"Sturm 'blank' Drang."
Also, did you know that Goethe was a neptunist? This was of course in his older years, when the idea of muscles slowly collecting on the seabed was appealing. Of course, as The German joked, the young Goethe would have certainly been a vulcanist.
What would you have been?
I am content to believe the Sturm --- Drang of August and September will mellow into a calm ocean of sedimentation. We hope to rejoin the interwebs this week, at which point I will be able to resume blogstalking. I will also regale you with my adventures with The German and why you should move to the Dairyland in the fall.
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Muscles or mussels? This must be an Uncle Alan blog favorite.
Fall in dairyland - how colorful.
Mutti
I heard a new pronunciation of Goethe a couple weeks ago: Gurtie. Honest.
BTW I have been meaning to comment on your new profile entry: "et in Arcadia ego" wondering what deep meaning you attach to it. My take: Even though you are now submerged in academia you once enjoyed the pleasures of life. Am I close? Mutti
I envy you get to enjoy Fall in WI. I totally need a copy of that pic of that badger with lederhosen on! Where in the world did you find that?!
Post a Comment