1. I waited in line for 45 minutes to vote.
2. I registered to vote today. At the polls.
3. I had the opportunity to simplify things with voting a straight party ticket by indicating my preference at the beginning of my ballot
4. There were a lot more people running for president than I knew about.
5. I actually voted for the presidential candidate I preferred. I've only ever voted for electors.
6. All of the state legislative candidates were uncontested and Democrat.
7. No sticker! What's the fun of actually going to polls if you don't get a sticker that you can self-righteously wear around the rest of the day?
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Avram had to wait in line an hour, and he went at 6:30 am. I went at 5:30 pm, and there was no line at all.
Even Lydia got a sticker for voting here. Sad.
(Also, what's voting for an elector? I'm confused.)
We went at 6:30 too, following the old adage "Vote early and often".
The president is actually elected not by a democratic majority but by a representative electoral college, right? Well, in Arizona, at least in the last two election as I remember, you voted for the electors who are pledged to cast their vote for a specific candidate. As I remember it said something like "Rose Mofford, et al (John Kerry)". Today I just saw the names of the candidates. Does that make more sense?
Maybe the Arizona voters can tell me if this is still true or not and if I'm describing it right?
(btw, I can't get your comments to work, but I wanted to say last night I was doing some last minute local election decision making too)
One, I joined you two at 6:30am, oops, Sarah and Avram, and waited for about an hour.
I had a push button computer screen. Quite exciting. Anyhoo, I too had have had problems with Thora's comments, and wanted to say what Sarah said, about last minute local stuff. I ended up going by people who's names I liked.
I think that's all I had to say, other than it seems we're having very similar experiences.
Let the waiting begin.
That makes me feel better about my comments; I just thought no one loved me and everyone hated me. I was about to eat worms but frau and Goat Herder you have saved me.
I didn't know that there was actually a state that had you vote for the elector. I guess it makes sense since as we've all seen before the electoral college can end up making a larger impact on the president than us voters can. And at least you knew who was making the decisions. I remember I was flabbergasted when as a senior in high school I learned about the electoral college. (I'm against it. Down with electors! Up with socialists!*)
*Ok, not really. For one thing, I read the socialist web site, and anyone who thinks that Obama is a socialist ought to have read their platform. And then they would understand the difference.
I got a sticker and didn't have any line. .. at 9:00 am
Arizona does list who the electors will be and you vote for them since they are the ones who will be casting the vote for president. I do believe that the founders distrusted the common man and that is why they established the electorial college. Talk about being disenfranchised! Northern Californians haven't had a vote that has counted in a presidential election for decades. If Obama is really for change that should be the first thing he does to change the Constitution. But alas his pseudo-socialist redistribution of the wealth agenda will prevail. I'm voting for "Joe the Plumber" next time. Mutti
We attended this great Halloween party where all the big political folks who you ever wanted to see were there: George Bush, Sarah Palin, Obama, and even Hillary made her appearance (as is her style). The little kids in the crowd loved the latter's mask, for some reason, and wanted everyone to try it on. I told the host that he should start his own political party because everyone joins! That was fun.
Our friend overseas had to vote by absentee ballot and he had "I Voted!" sticker withdrawals, too. Don't they realize we adults like prizes, too?! Maybe someone who knows people can take pity and send you a sheet of them . . .
Post a Comment