When my husband first introduced me to the world of the blog I found its anonymous voyeurism attractive and was quickly addicted. But for some time I felt an uneasy self-loathing at my interest (and sometimes perverse pleasure) in the random going-ons of my fellow humans and their attempts to understand the world. Then I realized I’ve always been a female flanuer (sorry French purists, I can’t stand flanuese) from the subtleties of navigating public school Arizona to small-town Utah quirks to a real metropolis like Berlin and finally to the information superhighway. And now I’m ready to be the exhibitionist; or rather I’m ready to share my insights, my complaints, my reviews, my flanerie and feuilleton in one place. So here are my warnings:
- my writing will be memoir: it is only as true as I can perceive truth
- language is what you make of it (and so is my grammar and spelling sometimes)
- however my language, my perceptions and I are bound by my culture and will at some level betray me as a western American Mormon girl even as I struggle against phallogocentrism, being dogmatic or arrogant, etc (or perhaps because I struggle)
With that warning, gute Reise!
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment