I've been asked to speak next week in church. Since it is Father's Day, my topic is "Fathers". I'm thinking of basing it on Pres. Beck's infamous talk last October, but calling it "Fathers Who Know".
Father's Day of course is such a difficult day for most people. The fathers in the congregation weep because they feel inadequate in their paternal role; the single men are reminded once again to their despair that they have not had the chance to father children; and then there are always the few married men who suffer from infertility and consequently suffer from the judgments of a society that demands they continue their bloodlines.
I hope to inspire these poor fathers and would-be fathers by detailing why my father is the greatest father in the world, thirty-six years running.*
Any other suggestions? Have you heard a particularly good father's day talk?
*Does this mean Dean was at Geronimo twenty years ago? I don't know if I'm ready to accept that.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Don't forget the single men who, since single, have decided to continue their education, and are thought of as 'careermen.'
I will let you say that your dad is the best, though I will have to respectfully disagree. :)
Sad to say, it was indeed 20 years ago. I'm not sure exactly what I've been up to since then, but I don't think it adds up to be enough to fill 20 years.
Twenty years? Surely you jest...it was just last week. Papa
Imagine our horror when the Deacon speaking in the Columbus Ward said he had been asked to speak on the Stripling Warriors! Surely this adds to the inadequate feelings of all Fathers present in the congregation as that is the quintessential subject for a Mother's Day Talk.
Anyway you still earn the Sarcasm Award. Adam would be proud! Mutti
Post a Comment