A couple of things struck me about this pic. I'm wearing Betsy's clothes and she's wearing mine. We're holding a very young Maddie's hands for an unknown reason( although I was hoping not related to the wine cooler behind her).
Using my superior powers of deduction, I looked at the pictures take before and after:
It finally clicked - I was in Prague. I was in some restaurant with the rest of the study abroaders. And to their horrow, Betsy, Maddie and I were dancing to Zorba the Greek. If you don't know Zorba's dance, I would highly recommend becoming acquainted with it. You can see it here.
This was the third time I had danced to Zorba that summer. The first time was in Nuremberg at Spargelfest, the yearly festival celebrating the asparagus. Betsy, our traveling companions and I were sitting in a biergarten enjoying the asparagus and also the English women at our table (who were enjoying the beer). Have you ever heard of the paradox "drunk or Mormon"? Well, which ever, we all got up when the live band began to play the Zorba melody. Fortunately the dance as performed by plebeians in the European community is simple enough for drunks (and Mormons), so we all quite enjoyed ourselves.
Later I was on a ship cruising along the Danube at night in Budapest. This was no ordinary cruise - it was the Hungarian rock'n'roll cruise. What is Hungarian rock'n'roll? I don't really remember that that question was answered. But the live band played Zorba, and once again, we all got up and danced as we passed by the lit relics of the Hapsburg reign.
I can't tell you much about that restaurant in Prague, except that it was typical tourist fare - complete with ethnic band and dancers. I have no idea what I ate. It's possible I didn't even eat, as Betz and I had driven all over Poland that day, nourished by the constant stream of techno coming from all radio stations. But I do now remember dancing to the Slavic band's Zorba with two lovely McFarland ladies.
I have had tasty food in Prague - it was the last place I had rabbit; the Architect's Club in the old town is very good; the bakeries have nice pastries and quiche as I remember. But my experience should be a warning to those traveling in Central Europe to be prepared. You may at any moment end up dancing to Zorba the Greek. You may find yourself singing John Denver's "Country Roads" with the crowds around the street musicians. You may hear El Condor Pasa so many times played by "Indian" pan-pipe bands that you will pay a gypsy to put a curse on Paul and Art. Your inner beast may grow fat on a steady diet of electronic dance music. You may be required to worship at the throne of Cat Stevens. And when you get home, that may be all you remember from your pictures.


5 comments:
Hungarischer Rock 'nd Roll! Ja! Papa
I think that dance looks kind of hard.
Hey, I like Cat Stevens. Of course, I'm technically in Europe, and even in his home country, so maybe it's all related.
You've led such a cool life; I want to be more like you, and travel the world, and do neat things.
As I recall the dance wasn't anything like how Zorba is dancing - a couple of simple movements repeated ad nauseam (perhaps literally, given the number of imbibers who dance it). Supposedly Anthony Quinn broke a foot during filming so Zorba's dance was supposed to be even more involved.
Thora - Cat Stevens reminds me of the Shannons - specifically you and Aleatha - and Germans. I've meet a number of Germans who told me they love Cat Stevens. Why? I don't know.
As for traveling, I did my best traveling when 1) the dollar was strong and 2) when eastern/central Europe was still cheap.
I'm planning someday going on an LDS travel tour to Israel led by Avram. If he leads one in Egypt, Matt will come too.
My fellow Peace Corps Volunteers and I danced like Zorba in the moonlight on a beach in the Philippines. We had a Filipina with us who had graciously become our host as we traveled on the bus together to her home and learned there were no hotels. My friend Georgia is Greek so the dancing was very spontaneous and fun. So beware, if you travel with a Greek you may end up being Zorba anywhere. Mutti
Post a Comment