We went for a fiesta theme, so we ordered this tres leches cake from the local Mexican bakery with an English-speaking staff memeber:

Stick and I made the food and set up while Heidi and Newt went on their date. Unfortunately Heidi's date's roommate broke his leg just late afternoon before the date, so he had to take him to the hospital. This meant they left for dinner later than expected. So the surprise party guests ate, hung out and worked on a word search about Heidi (in Spanish!) while waiting for the guest of honor to come.


Heidi in the meantime finally finished dinner, at which point the guys told her and Newt that they needed to blindfold them to take them to their next destination. If you've ever been on a date at the G.O.D.University, then you'll know that really wasn't that unusual. Somehow it all worked out, and they brought Heidi home, where she surprised us! (In the commotion of the date, they forgot to call and tell us they were on their way) Stick threw the 1000 paper cranes she'd been folding at her and it was quite exciting.


Now relieved of the anticipation, we could relax and play those classic party games, like pin the tail on the burro:

And of course, beat the effigy of Heidi's favorite animated supergirl (ok, not really beating, but that is what we would have done, had it not been the middle of winter; instead we got to pull on strings, hoping to get the one that released the trap):

And just generally enjoy the smooth sounds of latin music provided by Venom.



At least it looked like a party by the time it was over.




3 comments:
Thank you again for a fabulous birfday party! I have no idea how I was fooled, but I'm glad I was. When I thought about it, there were some tell-tale signs....
Like, why didn't Newt just ask Stick. Or, really, a blind-fold? And why was the blind date only mildly awkward, instead of super-duper awkward? (Answer: because he knew it was a fake date!)
The Tres Leches was so very tasty. The hair was much longer than I remember. Family members came out of the woodworks that I hadn't seen for a while.
You were so very sneaky.
Okay, I've been getting some pictures off, so that's why you'll have inordinate amounts of time from Greensboro.
Thank you so much, again!
You and your theme parties. I miss them.
Post a Comment