Friday, February 6, 2009

Oh, What Do You Do in the Wintertime?

Dear Lucy, EJ, and Prince Hal the Snailslayer,

The lakes by my house have frozen over. That means people can ice skate. It also means people like to go ice fishing. First thing you have to do is make a hole in the ice.



Then you can move your ice shanty over the hole so you can be protected from the wind while you are fishing.



Usually you have plenty of friends around to keep you company.



If the ice is thick enough you can drive your truck out onto the lake, if you dare!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are nutters everywhere...Papa

Troop 152 said...

Thanks for the great postcards!

Postcards and a post! How special for those kiddos.

We are expecting rain and temps in the low 60's this weekend. Brrr. Pray for us.

Emily said...

This blog is awesome. Thanks for sending me the address. You've read Fascinating Womanhood? Does it sit next to your copy of The Feminine Mystique? Do they try to push each other off the shelf?

Emily said...

P.S. i can't get over the irony of YOU ending up in the frozen North. But then again, what did you used to say about cold-weather romances?

Robyn said...

They do that around here, too, even when its 50 degrees outside and the ice is melting! Some people must really love fish...

Anonymous said...

An article in the paper yesterday chronicled the rescue of over a hundred ice fishermen who used pallets as a bridge over a crack in the ice. Foolish behavior made more foolish by the cold! Mutti

Frau Magister said...

Yeah, I heard about those fishermen on Lake Eerie. I certainly don't think that freshwater fish is worth risking life and limb.

Somehow I own multiple copies of Fascinating Womanhood, so I can send one to you if want, Emily. I haven't introduced it to the Feminine Mystique yet, but that's a good idea. What I really should do is put them next to each other on the coffee table when the home teachers come over.