The lower Belvedere had an exhibit of Mucha, a beloved painter of my family. We saw an exhibition of the Bosnia and Herzegovina pavilion in Prague and we were hooked. The pavilion was here too, as well as a number of posters, sketches, and even some jewelry. It was definitely worth it.
I also checked out the Jugendstil at the upper Belvedere. Not as much Klimt anymore, but they still have "The Kiss."
On the way home I stopped at Schwedenplatz for some gelato, which I ate at the foot of one of my favorite churches, Ruprechtskirche. It is the oldest church in Vienna, with parts dating from 1130. It also has the oldest bells in Vienna, which are from the 13th century.


Then a guy started playing the medieval bagpipes and another guy showed up and starting accompanying him on hurdy gurdy. Medieval music with a medieval church.

On Wednesday afternoon I was wandering about looking for a reclam (which I never found) and ran across some other noteworthy Vienna sights:

Anker Clock

Hoher Markt




Maria am Gestade

Roman Ruins (Rome was great, you know)

Greek Orthodox Church
I met some friends in the Freyung on Thursday with the Scottish Abbey/Church:


And we walked past the Jugenstil Engelapotheke:

Friday I made it out to the summer palace of the Austrian emperors at Schönbrunn, despite the rain.


Then I went back to my old stomping grounds in the sixth district.

Otto Wagner Jugendstil appartments

Secession (I even went in this time!)

Theater an der Wien - where The Magic Flute premiered.

Karlskirche
On the one hand it seems I managed to see quite a bit of Vienna. On the other hand, I saw about twice as much in two days the last time I was there. But that was with Matt and Newt, who had had the fear of God put into them about finishing their study abroad art/architecture project. We rushed about seeing everything possible, slowing down only to inhale the occasional schnitzel or torte. This time I was otherwise occupied, as I shall explain in succeeding posts.


4 comments:
Admittedly, since I read the word Belvedere, the theme song was the background music to your great pictures.
...never mattered before,
who cares.
...As you came through the door,
No one glared.
...According to our new arrival
Life is more than mere survival
We just might live the good life yet.
So glad Maddie got turned on to Mucha also. Muttie
That impromptu medieval music concert just sounds cool. I can imagine the sound of the bagpipes. And Maria am Gestade is gorgeous.
How wonderful for you to experience this! Danke, dass du teilst!
You're making me nostalgic for Vienna, and I've only been there once. Papa
Post a Comment