Saturday I went to the library which closed early, so I decided I'd better pay homage to the city, so I wandered around the inner city. Here are some of the places I went. (WARNING: the view screen on the digital camera doesn't work, and the view finder isn't placed very well, so every picture looks out of balanced, to add to the fact I don't know much about taking pictures).

Hofburg

Plague Column

St. Peter's

St. Stephens

Inside a Japanese choir on tour performed the Classical Christian top hits, like "Jesu, joy of man's desiring," "Panis Angelicus" and "Ave Verum."
By this point I was hunger, so I went looking for a quick schnitzel sandwich. Unfortunately I couldn't find the place I used to go to. But I found this for Carrie, the wienerisch expert:

And this store for Matt:



I finally decided I might as well get a real schnitzel at what every missionary calls Herb's, otherwise known as Schnitzelwirt. Truly great, even if the missionaries like it. Look what I got for six euro:

Add a little Erdäpfelsalat and Apfelsaft gesprizt and you have a perfect meal:

Later that night I dragged MA out to St. Michael's for an organ concert. The organ in the church is the original baroque instrument installed in the 18th century. The concert was very good and very Italian. Afterward we got a tour of the organ and learned its secrets (it has a vox humana stop and the pedalboard is only one octave) and the secrets of the organist (he wears a fanny pack when he performs). Topped off with a little gelato made for a satisfactory second day in Wien.


6 comments:
Roughing it, I see. Papa
What a lovely assortment of pictures to accompany the text. You did great. Too bad it leaves the reader hungry and longing for Vienna. Enjoy your time. France comes too soon. Mutti
Wie viele Leute gibt es in Kanada?
Null! Es gibt kane da!
Sigh. Schnitzel bei Schnitzelwirt. Du hast das Himbeersoda vergessen. Aber Apfelsaft gespritzt geht...
Wienerschnitzel, zopf, schaffkäse, kirschsaft, apfelstrudel——these are a few of my favorite things.
Can I borrow your life? Just for a day or two--then I'll give it back, I promise.
Roughing it, indeed. I even had to take on of he schnitzels home and eat for lunch the next day.
I actually prefer apfelsaft gesprizt with my schnitzel, I find the himbeer slightly too sweet. I saw the most beautiful zopf at the bakery but it was right after I arrived and I didn't buy it because I thought "I'll never be able to eat that on my own!" I obviously had forgotten I was staying with foodies and their four growing children.
Yes, Robyn, you can borrow my life anytime you want.
Post a Comment