I'm trying to post pictures and accompanying narrative about our trip last week to OH(io), but my browser isn't behaving. It keeps acting up anytime I need a pop-up window. I think it's getting the new school year jitters. I'm hoping that if I buy it a new shirt and some pencils it will calm down and start giving me pop-ups again.
In the meantime I've been going to teacher training since they're letting me loose on those young, impressionable minds. Amazing to think I had a young, impressionable mind but ten years ago going off to college for the first time. And I can tell you, I thought my first German TA was OLD! Looking back on it, he wasn't that old, except maybe he was a bit old for still doing his bachelors. At least I'm a PhD student.
Also, I've decided that everything I need to know about teaching a foreign language I learned during primary singing time.
And until by computer settles down, enjoy this post by a funny woman. I don't usually read personal blogs of people I don't know, but I know this lady's sister and an assortment of her cousins, and she knows MA in the flesh and a virtual Thora. So I need to adjust my blog-reading algorithm to include degrees of separation. Anyway, I submitted a Malaprop to her that she used so I'm quite proud of myself. Now if only I could find a cake good enough for cakewrecks.
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
10 years, eh? How come I'm no older?
Malaprops is good, but canshe drive erotically?
Good luck with school. I thought I was ready for another year...and then I went to class, read the syllabus, and sighed. :)
I got me a shiny new notebook that is going to be just for this semester. I hope your loyal web browser soon starts behaving. And enjoy the young impressionable minds.
I must hear about your primary music experience. Maybe I'm missing some useful life lesson by hanging out with the YW.
Hi, this is Zina (of myimaginaryblog.) Thanks for the link. Any friend of a friend is a friend of mine, and anyway, I love to spread the malaprop sunshine. I hope Old Cowboy won't mind that I'm adding drive erotically to my list.
Yes, please take "driving erotically," Zina! I have an aunt who is an incarnation of Mrs. Malaprop. This particular phrase (a favorite now) happened when she was describing how her sister was pulled over by the cops for driving "erratically" (we assume, as I don't think we wanted to ask too many questions in case she was actually some how driving "erotically").
Robyn: Hear are some of the Primary tips for SLA:
- Repetition (girls, boys, loud soft, etc)
- Call on random students, but make sure everyone gets picked (use cards or sticks with their names)
- Play games to teach them new vocab or grammar (songs) or to review old ones
- Try to communicate in the target language (sing) as much as possible since it may be their only chance to use it
My favorite teaching tip from Primary Music: Write the words you want the children to learn on the back of discarded wallpaper rolls, thus letting them learn using two of their senses, i.e., sight and sound. Oh wait, you can't use written words in Primary anymore. Shows my age.
Post a Comment