On the Conductor in Sacrament Meeting:
In my last post, Schmath questioned the relationship between the organist and the conductor in a typical worship service. This is an interesting question for me based on my musical training at the G.O.D.U. where I learned to play the organ with regard to church music and also where I learned congregational/choir conducting. In each class we were basically told we had control over tempo and phrasing. Of course, they never got the organists and the conductors together to practice like it would actually happen at church. In an ideal world the organist and the conductor would get together and decide these things together and practice them before the service.
But since we live in a fallen world, this doesn't always happen. I'm fortunate in that the woman who conducts in my ward may not have a lot of musical training, but she has a good musical sensibility. And she's dealt with a lot of beginning organists so when I was called she just told me she would follow me. Now this was good and bad because I needed practice following but I also didn't want to get caught having to play a hymn faster than I could. But now after performing together for almost two years, we have a good working relationship. I usually start the hymn intros as fast I would play them and then follow her. We haven't had any disagreements yet. I also warn her when I'm going to do something fancy.
That's been my fortunate experience. The real key is communication which out to happen before the singing starts. But I've had enough training in orchestra that I always follow the conductor, even if it is slower than I would want to play it.
Now, if I were called as the conductor, I would probably be more aggressive. I would probably give suggested tempos to the organists and ask to practice together before hand. Which is probably why I won't be called. (Maybe Car has some insights on this position?)
I believe there are two reasons why we have a conductor at all when most other Christian denominations only have an organists. First, most other denominations have a professional organist play, who has been trained to lead church congregational singing. I would venture that the majority of our organists have had little training and even less beyond the technical aspects of playing onto the actual performance of hymns in a worship service. A conductor hopefully adds another person into the mix who knows something about music and can lead everyone along as needed. Second, the church seems wary of putting all of its eggs in one basic, and almost every level of the church as at least two people involved.
On the reasons and remedies for slow hymn-singing:
There are many reasons for slow hymn playing:
1. Reason: Mediocre organist.
Remedy: Leave out the tenor line, play the bass line on the manuals, play the
melody in both hands. Playing the hymn at a singable tempo is more important than playing every last note. The major hindrance to this is that we have a strong tradition of four part singing. The more I play the organ, the more I wish we had more unison singing.
2. Reason: The organ is too soft. When the organ is too soft, the congregation can't hear their notes to sing and slow down because they're unsure or stop singing all together.
Remedy: Hymns should always be played with at least a foundation of principle stops. Many church organists feel these are too loud, but unless people can really hear their notes, they won't sing. However, sometimes the speaker power is simply missing with electronic organs. This is the case with the organ in our stake center which has two speakers rather than the maximum four. Two is fine for ward services, but when I played for stake conference I had to literally pull out all of the stops to get it loud enough for the congregation to follow.
3. Reason: The organist is following the congregation. This is a simple physics problem. The organist plays a note which travels general from a speaker situated right next to the organist out into the audience. The audience hears that note and sings back at the organist. The delay in the travel of the sound can be enough that if the organist tries to actually play the note when s/he perceives the audience singing it, s/he will go slower and slower.
Remedy: This is where a good conductor would actually be useful, especially if s/he isn't positioned right in front of the speakers. But for all intents and purposes the organists is not really "accompanying" a choir but leading a congregation in musical worship. The short answer is, the congregation should sound slightly but consistently behind.
4. Reason: Mack W. and the MoTab. I wouldn't go as far as saying that they top my "reasons I don't belong in this world anymore list" (like someone I know), but they certainly suffer from what I call "precious sound syndrome." This is when you sound so good and your harmonies are so beautiful that you just keep extending them out, often losing sight of the bigger musical picture. I hadn't realized how bad this had actually gotten until I was preparing to play "Gently Raise" for this Sunday. I wanted to see at what tempo the MoTabs sing it, so I clocked it with a metronome. In the version I used (a typical opening for their Sunday show), they start out at about 120 beats per minute and almost immediately (after about three measure) slow down to about 90 BPM. By the end of the second phrase they are at about 70 BPM, where they stay until the last phrase when they bottom out at around 60 BPM. So, in the space of one verse, they started at 120 BPM and end at half that speed.
Remedy: The MoTabs are a great choir - but we have to remember that they are a choir made up of trained musicians with professional conductors and organists, who practice regularly together. In a worship service, the volunteer conductor, organist, and largely untrained singers get one shot at having a meaningful musical experience. This means that subtleties that the MoTab can perform, such as tempo changes and dynamics, are simply unlikely to be achieved at the congregational level.
But in many ways, they are unnecessary to the purposes of music in our worship. Like fight songs, national anthems, and union songs, hymns unite us as a group in a common purpose and ideology. The hymns in sacrament meeting are the only opportunity for every member of the congregation to participate actively in worship that simultaneously signals a group solidarity. With the merging of performer and audience, the "performance" aspect is less important than cohesive sing-ability, which hinges on a constant, appropriate tempo. This is also why I support unison singing, because most people will be familiar with the melody than with the part their range might fit and are more likely to sing the melody well and happily than their "part".
The other solution to all of these problems is to worship in Wales with a Welsh congregation. But alas, most of us don't have that option.
Friday, July 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
Wow, a whole post because of my comment! Awesome. That's funny that everyone thinks the principal stops are too loud. I thought it was just because our church has a pipe organ, and the people on the stand sit in front of the pipes, so when someone uses the principal stops, the pipes out in front blast the people on the stand, and they all get funny looks on their faces.
Your writing about the relationship between the conductor and the organist reminds me of what must be the low point in your organist career, namely, when she-who-will-not-be-named interrupted your prelude music saying she had been asked to conduct that day and wanted you to teach her what to do.
I sometimes think that they have a conductor because it gives someone else an opportunity to serve and grow. Then I think of our congregation and that doesn't apply at all as they use people who have other callings.
This is interesting to hear an organist's point of view, especially the reasons for supporting unison singing.
I rely on the conductor quite a bit so I know when to start, when to stop, and what tempo we're supposed to be singing at. We don't always sing all of the verses of a hymn, which is not always noted ahead of time. Also, sometimes our organist plays the intro slower than she plays the hymn, so I need the conductor to follow. About the congregation not singing because we don't know what we're doing, yes, I have experienced that before. We all turned to the noted hymn number and listened to the intro. I looked up and watched the conductor, who was singing the words on my page, beating out the tempo. But not one thing was matching what the dear organist was doing. After a bit, der Meister said that the organist was playing the wrong hymn. The conductor did her hardest to beat out her rhythm, but to no avail. We all ended the hymn with a few "hum hum hums," the conductor figured out the problem, informed the organist who was horrified and apologetic, and we all shrugged with a chuckle and an "oh, well." I'm just thankful they share their talents.
Equinox reminds me of a similar mix-up last Sunday between what the organist was playing and what song was announced/numbered on the wall and in the program. The conductor looked confused by in the intro, but had the courage to go over and tell "Sister U of U" that she was playing the wrong song. All very amusing and the situation was enough of a unusual diversion that it kept Jeeves awake for awhile. Anything to relieve the level of boredom which we now measure in "Eastons". On a scale of 1-10, this was 4 Eastons.
Mac and the Mo-Tabs. Someone said it was like an old woman who owned a Ferrari and drove it two blocks to the grocery store once a week. What a waste. It reminds me of Lincoln's rebuke to McClellan, "If you're not using my Army, could I borrow it for awhile?" or something like that.
I have just one question-Do you get the wind up when the organ plays?
Mark
Well, I don't know anything about organs. But, first off I learned the origin of a phrase - I never realized that the phrase pulling out all the stops refers to organ playing. It makes so much sense. Otherwise, we sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic this last Sunday, and I thought of you, and wanted to hear your version on the organ. Avram and I both agreed that this hymn doesn't get played nearly enough.
So, what does Wales do that solves all your problems?
Schmath: We have a pipe organ, too, but the bishopric gets no pity from me. They've also never complained.
Mummy: I had forgotten about that particular incident. But I would guess that this sort of things happens more often than it ought to. Also, in regard to your second comment I absolutely LOVE the Easton rating scale and will from here on out always employ it.
Equinox: You bring up some very good points about the usefulness of the conductor, especially from the point of view of the singer. And I admit too, that I have to follow her as well to know what verse we're on or whether we're going on.
Old Cowboy: Yes, very true.
Mark: Yes, I do! Fortunately the motor for our organ does too.
Thora: Wales is known for its enthusiastic singing.
I had a friend who was the ward organist who followed your second solution on a regular basis and it worked like a charm. (though, there were frequent comments that the organ was too loud (it wasn't), because another fact about congregations is that quite a few people in them think they should be the ward music director/Master of the Universe. Not that He-man knows anything about music...)
Post a Comment