Most of my time in Zion was spent in Wonderland at the home of my late Aunt Alice. A serious portion of my time in Wonderland was sorting through effluvia of the last ten years. Fortunately, I was in a less nostalgic mood, so although it was fun to see various bits and scraps saved overtime, I was also able to get rid of a good portion of it. As I was sorting through things I ran across a Christmas card which I vaguely remembered as apart of some RS activity long ago. Inside it was this message:
"Inside your Christmas card are 28 slips of papers. on each slip of paper is written a task. These tasks are all things that the Savior has asked us to do. in doing these tasks, we are giving ourselves to Him. Each day, remove a slip of paper and fulfill the task written thereon. I hope in doing this we can find a desire to recommit ourselves to the following the Savior. I urge everyone to make it a matter of prayerful consideration. Pray for guidance and help in remembering and performing the day's task, pray for help to perform the task sincerely, with humility and from the heart."
I wondered aloud to my mother why I hadn't immediately tossed this in the garbage, because this is just the enforced superficial spirituality that I can't stand. I pulled out the slips to see what sort of nonsense they had in mind. It was then I figured out why I had kept this. Although some of them were left blank, here are the gems given me by someone who must of known me well:
"Today, I will make a wooden craft, preferable an angel santa snowman."
"Today, I won't plagiarize."
"Today I will pour corn syrup on fruit loops for breakfast, instead of milk on cheerios."
"Today, I will begin all my sentences with 'darling' or 'dearest'."
"Today, I will keep a Peter Breinholt in my song in my hear."
"Today, I will think about getting married. Then I will think again."
"Today, I will make cookies for my visiting teachee and EAT THEM."
"If I see someone with bad hair, I will tell them it's cute."
As you can see, there are still twenty more days to fill. Any suggestions?
Saturday, August 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Today I will bless the life of someone less fortunate than I by saying hello to them and smiling sincerely at them. They will feel seriously so blessed.
Today I will learn to play a new obscure musical instrument...maybe an Aeolian Wind Harp or a beer bottle organ?
I have no response to that.
Today I will call my sister.
Post a Comment