Friday, August 13, 2010

There and Back Again: Zion Edition

So I went to Zion about a month ago and was there for about two weeks. It had been two since I had been there, which is probably the longest time I've spent away ever. Here are some observations on coming back:

  • After coming from the Land of Milk and Honey, Zion sure looked like the high mountain desert that it is. When I was a kid coming from Sonoran desert, Zion seemed like the garden of Eden. But coming from somewhere where it actually rains, Zion seemed alot more dry and yellow.

  • Coming now from a different dialect region, I could certainly "hear" the standard Zion accent for the first time.

  • The driving habits in Zion are much different than in the Land of Milk and Honey. Here when someone wants to change lanes, they put their signal on and wait until there's a clearance of half a mile or you send them an engraved invitation and then they'll slowly move over. In Zion, signaling is optional and no space is too small for a car to change lanes into. Fortunately, cars in Zion typically change two or thee lanes at one time, so they aren't cutting you off for long. The only thing that really compares to driving in This-is-the-place valley is driving in Chitown (except in Chitown the having the additional habit of riding on your rear the whole time).

  • I saw many suburbans, one hybrid, and only one lonely bumper sticker supporting the president in Zion. Inverse for a typical day in Madcity.

  • The only freeway in the state was under construction, as well as the highway to Matt's parents' house. Typical, but still maddening.

  • The This-is-the-Place police department still hates me.

  • My faith in Mac and his MoTabs was nearly restored by the recent "pioneer" concert: songs up to speed! Lyrics you could understand! Too bad he took a swipe at a previous conductor and put the distaste back in my mouth.

  • Food is much cheaper in Zion than in the Land of Milk and Honey.

  • This is somehow true, despite Zion being a desert and Madtown being in the America's supposed bread basket.

  • Speaking of deserts, I never once in Zion worried about rain - instead I got to relive the nightmarish experience of irrigating with ditch water and dams and prayers that there will be a good stream.

  • Along those lines, I also dried out quite nicely after a humid summer in the midwest.

  • Not so many tank-tops and short-shorts in Zion.

  • Surprised to find out that living in the Land of Milk and Honey (and Beer) has made me more of an expert on the brewing industry than my partking relatives who were trying to shock me.

  • Many more Hispanics and so much more good Mexican food.

  • Speaking of which, I didn't even make it half of the places on my list, but I did get two pastrami burgers, a trip to Maddox and lots of Mexican, so I'm pretty satisfied.


5 comments:

Schmath said...

The no signaling thing drives me insane! Plus, I'm pretty sure people don't even look before they start to move over. Or they just like to drive with part of their car in the neighboring lane.

Vanessa Swenson said...

I know for certain that one of the Mexican meals was particularly excellent.

The Old Cowboy said...

The best part was singing along with Sarahbim and Johnny Cash across Iowa...

Todd Edwards said...

I am again filled with referential awe - land of milk and honey, etc. Please tell me your use of the name Zion is only partially sarcastic.

Anonymous said...

You also enjoyed a play at the Lyric, the much sought after trip to the Booktable, chocolates from the Bluebird, Aggie ice cream, visits with relatives, a trip to Tony Grove lake and fireworks on the 24th viewed from the Field of Dreams. Ah, summer at Alice's one last time..