Funnily enough though, of the few stable minority language in the US, "German" makes up a large number: Pennsylvania Dutch, Hutterisch, Mennonite Low German and Yiddish. The other stable minority languages are the signed languages (primarily ASL, but also the Mexican-Spanish and Quebecois-French varieties), Romani/Sinti dialects spoken by the Roma/Sinti ("Gypsies"), and Shelta spoken by the Irish Travellers. Corresponding with a stable minority language is a stable community, that is none of these groups are dying or assimilating. In the case of Romani and Shelta, the language functions as a cryptolect. It is also interesting that the German varieties are now only spoken by various "conservative" religious groups. Pennsylvania
Dutch= Old Order Amish and Old Order Mennonites. Hutterisch=Hutterites. Mennonite Low German=Russian/Colony Mennonites. Yiddish=Hasidism. Each of these religious groups has resisted verticalization and assimilation to the extent that they can by pro-actively maintaining their communities and the boundaries of those communities. This does not mean that they live in isolation or that they believe that they live in isolation - in fact, they are quite aware of their dependence on the larger society and all groups are fully bilingual with English (if not trilingual, if you count their religious languages of Early Modern German or Luther German for the Christians and Biblical Hebrew for the Jews). Yet they do what they can to maintain their separation as a believing body.
I know the most about the Old Orders (Amish and Mennonites) and this accounts for most of their "strange" practices. For example, they don't use central heat because they believe that allows parents and children to disperse to separate rooms in the evening, instead of spending time together as a family in front of the hearth. Similar is the reason for restriction on automobiles (although that is different for the "Black-bumper" variety of Mennonites): community ties are stronger if the members stay physically closer together. These ties are reinforced by overlapping domains - members worship together, go to school together, work together, share in the same recreations, etc. And for Hutterites, their communal lifestyle means the share property as well.
Since I've been reading and discussing these communities, I've been reflecting on my own place in various communities. First and foremost (and the most fraught) is that of my religious affiliation. Although Mormonism maybe hard to define, the fact that I am a Mormon isn't (unsubtle jab at a certain ex-governor). But that doesn't mean that I'm a "member" of the local Mormon community, a fact which has only been reinforced since moving to Madtown. Community membership requires a degree of acceptance by the already accepted members of that community. It quickly became apparent after moving here that I was unacceptable, for a number of reasons. I do not live in the married student housing. I do no have children. I am pursuing a graduate degree. I am pursuing a graduate degree in the humanities. My husband did not have a job. My husband does not attend church every Sunday (health reasons). While these have nothing to do with the beliefs and practices that make me a card-carrying Mormon, they do mean that I am on the periphery (if not on the other side) of the borders of this particular congregation.
Contributing to this problem is that I only see with the majority of my ward on Sunday during the block. But since I play the organ in sacrament meeting and the piano in primary, I actually interact very few members of the ward. The women's-meeting-which-shall-not-be-named has once again been reduced to happening once a quarter, so I only meet with my women's organization four times a year (often I can't go because of school obligations, so I usually only met with them once or twice a year). For the majority of the time, the only other Mormon I see during the week is Matt. So the contact time I actually have with this community is quite limited by number but also in space, since I see other members almost exclusively at church and only occasionally on campus or somewhere else. If Mormon were a language, I would have stopped speaking it by now.
Last year I was growing weary of not having any Mormon friends in Madtown. Have you ever read any official advice on feeling isolated in your ward? All of says that *you* need to be more pro-active. So I decided to see if there was interest in starting a group that would meet to eat lunch on campus once a month. After talking to a few of the women who worked or went to school on campus and were enthusiastic, I emailed the RS mailing list and set up a time based and place that would seem to work for the most number of people (there were about a half dozen). Two women besides me showed up the first month, and the rest of the semester, only one woman came. That was fine with me because we get along, but we both thought it would be nice if more people came. This past semester we set up a new time, this time twelve people said that they would come. Unfortunately the girl who came the first semester couldn't come this time. I went the first time to meet everyone and no one showed up. Only one bothered to email me to tell me she couldn't come due to unexpected circumstances. I was so disappointed that I couldn't bring myself to attempt to set it up for the next month.
The lesson I learned was that you can't be a part of a community without their permission. This happens a lot to second language learners - just because we send German students over to Germany, doesn't mean that they will be accepted into the German-speaking community. We do this as Americans - even if an immigrant becomes a legal citizen, that doesn't mean that we'll accept him as an American. Even if I want to be a member of this ward, I can't be. What do you do? I guess you just keep plugging away.
While my membership in my local religious community is marginal, my Mormon lifestyle basically prevents me from becoming a full member of other communities. The first being that of the German grad students. In comparison to my ward, I'm a pretty much a fully-involved member of my department community. I work with them, I socialize with them, I see other members nearly everyday of the week on campus and off campus, etc. I even play in a bluegrass band made of up members from our department! But I know I'm not as integrated as I could be because I don't drink. I do go to the happy hours because I don't understand alcohol consumption as a sin per se (unless you've promised God no to) and I have no interest in drinking so being around it is not a temptation. But I'm not interested in seeing my friends drunk, so I usually leave early. I know I've precluded myself from certain types of social bonding because I do not drink with them. I think I've made up for it in other ways, but it is not always equal to all people.
The Mormon lifestyle also prevents me from becoming a member of other communities just from a time factor. I have two callings (ward organist, primary pianist) and three assignments (visiting teaching, family history center volunteer,
What communities are you a part of?


6 comments:
Your ward is mean! Do you think they are intimidated because you are in grad school? Too bad you're not in my ward. Lots of the old people come early to listen to the prelude and say hello to the organist every Sunday. And there is an unofficial book group where many of the younger ladies hang out until midnight. I can't believe how many callings you have, and you don't even whine about it. I'm a big whiner though. Sorry about your husband's health. There's nothing worse than health problems.
Being marginalized in the Church community is an interesting dilemma. Sounds like you have made some good attempts to reach out to others. The lunch group sounds viable even if it just with the one other woman. Maybe next school year will bring new people into the mix. One thing that will sound Pollyannaish is the thought that someday you will be in a normal Ward that doesn't exist primarily for students. I also can't believe how many callings you have.
Really thoughtful, well-written post.
Thinking back, as a grad student I felt really isolated, too, for a couple of years. Now I'm trying to think how I found community. I became pretty good friends with the only other woman in my grad class -- a Chinese girl who would take me with her running around the track.
On the Mormon side, after a couple of years, our ward was reorganized to split up the students, and we started meeting with people who appreciated the energy that students brought with them, rather than seeing them as a social drain. Around the same time, we moved apartments, and another Mormon student couple moved in just down the hall, and a third Mormon couple joined the ward, both pursuing PhD's, and suddenly there were people newer than we were with whom we had a lot in common. We started hosting game nights with people we really liked.
Finding community for me in grad school: sounds like much was luck -- People moving in, boundaries being reorganized. Much was timing -- it took a long time to find friends, including a few painful rejections that permanently altered my ability to trust ward members. Being pro-active? Maybe. Sounds like I can't really give anything helpful.
But at least I wrote a really super long comment to make up for that lack of helpfulness.
My social life has never depended on the church. Growing up in Tucson I had very few Mormon friends. There were few boys even close to my age in the ward, and those that were were basically juvenile delinquents. Even today, except for family(many of whom I consider to be close friends) I think I only have two close friends who are Mormon. When we moved to Mesa I was marginalized in the ward, to the point where they put someone in my position without releasing me. To make it worse I was actually functioning in the position. I was not valued or appreciated except as a bearded something or other until Kent Rohner became bishop. Incidentally I did see a man in the Temple a couple of weeks ago with a long pony tail. I wanted to applaud. I have never used church membership as a gauge for friendship. I think I am probably better off for being inclusive. That doesn't mean embracing what they may be doing, i.e., drinking etc. but I also don't criticize them for what they do. It has made for an interesting life.
Ever since reading this, I've been racking my brain trying to think of something actually useful to say. Well, I haven't succeeded, but here are my lengthy thoughts anyway. Although Avram's in grad school, we're about as "regular" Mormons as it gets - three kids, stay at home mom, Husband doing crazy things to support the family (if having a fellowship counts as crazy). There are several grad student families in our ward, and thankfully our ward really seems to like grad students. On the other hand, all of us have kids, and it's the husbands who are in grad school - so once again, all part of the norm. I wish you and Matt had ended up here or we there - then we could roleplay with Matt, and eat good food with both of you, and be Mormon and individual at the same time. I actually wish we knew some people here without any kids - they're awesome for hanging out with, because there's no juggling of baby schedules.
I've often wondered myself about the marginalized members of my ward, and how I can reach out to them, when usually there are reasons I don't know them too well. Single men, of all ages. A single woman in her thirties. Older widowed women. Basically, people who don't have kids that our kids know. And I really don't know how to. I mean, there's inviting over for dinners, which I should do more of. Of course, I don't struggle to find common ground with these people because they are female grad students with no kids (I'd love some of that in our ward!), but rather people with no education, or who don't have a spouse (and therefore I struggle to figure out social balances). So, perhaps as help to me - in what ways would you appreciate your ward reaching out to you?
Maybe you could move to another ward? Kind of a drastic measure, I guess. Also, are you in a student ward, or a family ward? Perhaps whichever you are in now - moving to the other one might help. I also liked the rest of your post too - it's interesting to me to think about community in general.
One thing my parents did do once in a new ward we moved to was every Sunday invite a family or people over to our house for Sunday dinner. This helped us get to know the ward better, and took the burden of social integration off of them. I don't think everyone would want to do this, but it did help in that situation.
But, once again, what do I know?
I agree this post was really thoughtful and well written.
Anyway, some thoughts:
At first, it was hard for me to imagine people not wanting to get to know you better and spend time with you. You always seemed to attract a large following. I always did, and if anything, I often felt like you were so much smarter and cooler than me that maybe you didn't want to hang out w/ the likes of me. (Not b/c of anything you ever did.) Maybe that's what's going on in your ward. The other women are intimidated by your self-confidence, wit, talent, etc.
It also made me think about the marginalized people in my ward. For us the biggest barrier is language. The women who don't come to our social gatherings are usually the ones who don't speak English as a first language. Parent/work status is not usually an issue. But we all mix at ward activities. But your post made me realize that I haven't made enough of an effort to include everyone. So thank you for that.
I still don't get your ward, though. Are the other students undergraduates? Are they all students? Why do they only have RS activities once a quarter? Our bishop wants us to have them once a month. ??? And you do have a lot of callings, but that's how it is in my ward, too.
Post a Comment