Friday, August 31, 2007

The Jewish Are Coming?

Not much of note has happened over the last few days. We have been very busy at work with the beginning of Fall, so I have worked more than usual and I'm still very behind. Oh well.

Matt left for another cousin wedding in Mesa on Wednesday so I'm enjoying the single life again. Gretchen came over and we did round one of canning peaches. These were Salt Lake peaches so we still have the Brigham City peaches to can at a later date. We should have known not to can without Kathy, but we managed somehow. We may even can the grapes (as juice) from the backyard if we are feeling confident. And then on Thursday and went and had dinner with an old friend and got caught up on the gossip. Matt misses all the fun.

Also of interest, driving to work yesterday I noticed a bus-load (a school of Hasidic Jews outside the only independent fast-food establishment in Mapleton. I use the term "Hasidic" in no other manner than as a pop-culture way, because of my very limited knowledge of Judaism and the identification of its sects. It reminded me of two years ago, when every time I went to the Salt Lake airport there were always Hasidic Jews there. And when I flew into Salt Lake, they were on my flight. Now I'm starting to feel a bit paranoid, but don't you think its remarkable? Am I falling victim to the proponents of the International Jewish Conspiracy?

3 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

How is it that you run into so many Hasids? I don't know if I've ever seen one in the flesh, although I've read plenty of Chaim Potok.
How does one can?

Travis & Heather said...

I remember running into a whole group of Orthodox Jews in my home town. I assumed they were tourists but for some reason they were in one of the towns suburbs and not the tourist district proper...perhaps Avram has further insight into these strange Jewish Migrations

Frau Magister said...

Venom - I don't know how one runs into so many. Shicksa appeal, perhaps?

Travis - That was the weird thing about this latest group, why were they in Mapleton? One could assume that they were actually just stopping along the 89, but that would suggest they've come from rural Utah and are headed toward rural Utah. I'm hoping as a member of the IJC, Avram has some insight.