Thursday, September 24, 2009

You would think 'cause of that whole fascist thing they'd have more sympathy

I'm teaching a night class of German 101 to a class of 90% males and 70% freshmen. It has been a great experience so far and I'm probably learning as much as they are, especially as I've never taught 101 before. As an attention getter, I planned on teaching a basic German drinking song ("Bier her") because 1) Oktoberfest started last weekend, 2) Wisconsin (and all of its German settlers and their male freshmen descendants) have never been known to particularly support temperance. I told another grad student my plan she offered to lend me her mini-accordion so I could accompany them. She assured me that I could learn it fast enough to accompany them, so I accepted her offer.

I got it this evening about an hour before class and after a couple of utube videos I was able to play the chords (no melody) for the tune. I pulled it out in class and they seemed impressed, but frankly, no group of (mostly) teenage boys really sings very enthusiastically, even about beer. So I told them that they needed to sing it again loud enough so that the Italian class down the hall would know that the Germans had arrived.

They kicked it up a notch and we were giving it another round when there was a knock on the door. In walked the Italian TA who informed us that her students were taking a test and couldn't we be quiet. While my class was snickering I told her I'm sorry that it was just that Oktoberfest started last weekend but we were about done singing anyway. After she left I let my class know that this was a pretty typical reaction to the assertion of German culture. Better get used to it early.

9 comments:

Schmath said...

ha ha. I wish I were in your class sooooooo bad!

Thora said...

Avram and I both got a good laugh - I especially love the title!

sallysue said...

That was fabulous. They shall (or at least should) always remember that.

Alisha Erin said...

That is hilarious.

Equinox said...

Awesome. My German site teacher did this, too, complete with his accordion (which he was really good at). Before he started, he gave a disclaimer (this being high school): "We are not condoning alcohol in any way. It's just a traditional German song about beer." ("Dude! Beer!") Some of the boys really got into it, adding actions such as swaying to and fro while swinging their "stein" in front of them. Great reaction to the TA. Guess you'll be known as the party class. Cool. Tests . . . phooey.

Robyn said...

Have you ever met an instrument you couldn't play, or a beer song you couldn't annoy someone with?

Laura Dee said...

What a fun story! I would also love to take German 101 from you.

Aleatha Shannon said...

I'm surprised the Italians weren't more sympathetic. Stereotypically, they're not the most studious people...

watch this funny cartoon about how Italians are different from the rest of the EU:
http://www.infonegocio.com/xeron/bruno/italy.html

heeheehee

The Old Cowboy said...

Wunderbar!