Tonight I got a call from student beggars the G.O.D.U. This is how part of the conversation went:
Her: "When was the last time you were on campus?"
Me: "About 18 months ago."
Her: "What brought you out this way?"
Me: "I was living in the U.C. at the time."
Her: "Do you keep on what's going on at the University?"
Me: "I try to."
Her: "Do you have any questions about what you've heard?"
I had to think about that one. Why did they do away with women's studies center but claim they were improving women's studies? Why did the most recent alumni magazine put this announcement in the corner of an article about weight loss? Is it true that international students will have to pay $4000 up front which will be put into an account and kept until graduation in case they get deported?
But I didn't ask any of that. She then asked if I wanted to donate $35 to needy student scholarships. Needy students took away my brownie at graduation, so there's no way I was going to give them anymore. Besides, I like to earmark my money for the German women writers or German in American church records projects.
So I pulled the patriarchal card and told her I would have to talk to my husband.
Speaking of begging, I really hate to do it, but I felt forced into it recently for this upcoming conference because I was under the impression that we were very low on abstracts. Turns out the member of the committee in charge of receiving them was not sending them on to the rest of us like he was suppose to. So we had/have enough, and I apologize if my friends and relations fell like I was trying to get you to sell the disgusting juice of a tropical fruit that will cure cancer in cats.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
My conversations with these types go something like this:"I am calling on behalf of the needy students at....."
Or the policemen's ball or various sundry beggars.
"Sorry. I am not in a position to help this year." Click. Sometimes I don't bother with the "Sorry..." bit. Just the "click." If who is calling shows up on the phone before I answer it, then it doesn't get answered. Or I answer it and immediately hang up without them or me saying anything. The older I get the less pleasant I am towards such unsolicited interruptions in my life. Life is definitely too short for such bs.
BTW we tried to donate to the Sophie but couldn't figure out how to do it. Please elucidate us. Mutti
There's a tropical fruit juice that will cure cancer in cats?!?!? Now if THAT were on a flier, it would get my attention. : ) And here I thought your conference was about German. A ploy! You subliminal messengers, you. Now, how did THAT get connected with your conference?
I hate the, "Ma'am, did you know . . ." starters. (Yes, I know. And you think I can give you how much? I want things, too. Got teaching connections?) I've donated to the Ed dept. at the our U. Mostly because of my supervisor and because the dept. has been decent enough to recognize her amazingness (wow, that's recognized as a word?) and give her awards. Der Meister demands his money goes only to the foreign language dept. rather than the vague title of Humanities. He is much more interesting for the beggars, though my favorite is listening to him talk to pollsters. Especially those political ones. Heh heh. They asked and they get it. And he sees through their questions. Poor kids. "Sir, [panicked] I just need a Extremely, Very, Somewhat, Sort of, or Not at all."
I must say, I've never gotten a question as interesting as yours on questions about what you've heard going at the school. You win there!
I'm fine with telling unsolicited callers to get stuffed. I do get annoyed when someone calls MY number and is rude to me or hangs up on me or interrupts me. Some people are just impolite. Just goes along with my theory that courtesy is going the way of the Dodo bird.
Gretchen gets calls from the northern namesake of your alma mater who also use the BRT method. (I am curious if you invented a full version for your university acronym).
The calls she gets from the Aggies are the pushiest.
I love the ones from the sherrif's association where they offer you a bumper sticker for donating.
Post a Comment