
They came in the stunning e(r)xotic colors of "Bermuda Black" and "Sahara Sandalwood" and promise "a great hair day, every day", which won't fall out, even during the briskest of exercises.
So I took my newly gained treasure home where my young cousins K and S were anxious to get their hands on my hair. This has been a long standing tradition among us (I showed what they did last year). K assured me that she had heard about my hair problem and let me know that she had been braiding her own hair since the second grade. I was a little sheepish because here I am in twentieth grade and hairbraiding still baffles me! But S was more sympathetic. She told me that braiding her own hair is difficult, because she likes to see what she's doing. She suggested doing ponytails and using headbands.

They were very excited to try out these "stretchable double combs," especially after they read the accompanying style guide. They tried out a number of the suggested styles:
The Classic Style
The Braid
The Ponytail
The French Twist (with progress)
Variations on the Butterfly

It looked like such fun that my mother got involved and came up with this creation, mixing the styles of the braid and the french twist:
Don't worry, she pulled the hair on my tender head as per required by the instruction manual for mothers.
She enjoyed herself so much she later created this with my hair:
Which begs the question, what do you do if your celebrity doppelgänger is fictional?


7 comments:
Such a fun night with your nieces who have been concerned about your hair almost all their life ("You'll never get married if you have short hair.") Have you learned to braid your own hair yet?
BTW I also have been concerned about the lack of a Doppleganger, celebrity or fictional. But surely a fictional Doppleganger is better than none at all. Mutti
A wonderful time was had by one and all.
Looks fun to me. Now where are the pictures of the mandatory Aunt Chocolate Chip make-over -- or did you forget to introduce that tradition?
Wish I could have been there.
Lovely! I was happy to see these contraptions up close. I like the idea but am wary of combs as they don't always stay in my hair. I love K and S's comments. It's just like them. S would be a bit more sympathetic to your plight; she was very happy to have me home this year to help her with her hair each morning if she wanted it. She had to learn how to do it mostly herself last year, and the ponytail headband style was her favorite (and very cute). They now have these fun flower clips they like to clip onto their headbands for a bit of flare. Maybe I'll have them send some your way. : ) Lovely do's!
Loved seeing your make-over and the always adorable K & S, but I've looked all over the sidebar and see no photo credits for your Header photo. Hmmmmm.
Oh dear, I've been caught in an act of internet piracy! I've repented and it's attributed now.
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it enough to borrow it. It took me a while to set up because I'm not good at tripod and timed photos. I dressed a pillow up in pants, shirt and Uncle Ed's awesome belt buckle and shot away. I'm kind of proud that you can see the weave in the pants. I know nothing about photography so it's a lucky fluke when something is in focus.
Post a Comment