Friday, March 12, 2010

Get back inside old fool . . . or how much I love my husband

There is a story about my great-grandparents C. from when they were old and living in the south part of the U.C. My great-grandmother was out one hot summer evening watering the lawn, when my great-grandfather came out to instruct her on how she was doing it wrong. She turned the hose on him and said "Get back inside, you old fool!"

I love this story, and Matt and I use this line* on each other. The good news about that is we actually see each other this semester! It's amazing how great it is when we are in the same room together, even if we're working on our own stuff, and then go to bed at about the same time. Even though I'm busier this semester, it's has been calmer (despite the generally tragic February) because we see each other regularly and I'm actually getting sleep at night.

And I love my husband so much that I'm knitting him this scarf:



1,040 rows of garter stitch - that makes 62,400 stitches. You can follow on the sidebar bellow.

You can guess WHO it is from?

* Other lines we use on each other (feel free to guess or claim their origins):

when the other complains about being cold: "Put some pants on, Will."
when caught in the act: "Grandpa, you drink the bottle!?"
when conversation lulls: "Do you know why Helper is called Helper?"

7 comments:

Oneup said...

We had an elder on my mission who would say "Yup, gay babies" every time the conversation lulled because every time there is an awkward pause, a gay baby is born. No clue where he got it, but it's done a good job of sticking in my head...

Robyn said...

Now I'm going to have to try to work that line into a conversation...not sure if it will have the same effect without the back story, though.

sallysue said...

I cannot claim Helper, but I will proudly claim causing the story to be retold more times than people wanted!

I LOVE the scarf, by the way.

Crap, and I've been meaning to send a birthday card, or call, or even email. And so far all you've gotten from me is this lame comment. Sorry. You deserve better. Soon. And I do hope it was wonderful!

Schmath said...

So many stitches! That's going to take forever. I'm already burnt out just thinking about it.

REC said...

The scarf is looking great. I have been following the sidebar for progress. It is like knitting the leper bandage, except you get to change colors occasionally. That reminds me of a story about the leper colony that I just heard while eating at the Aloha. Random thought. I will tell you about it sometime.
You will have to tell me about the third quote sometime. I also have fine new Malapropism: rheumatic fever is now "romantic" fever.

The Old Cowboy said...

"Eat all your dinner, honey, or you can't have any Key Lime pie."

Frau Magister said...

Oneup: Back in my day the joke was "Abraham Lincoln" - seems things have (d)evolved since then.

Robyn: Go for it!

Sallysue: indeed, that and a certain birthing story.

Schmath: But don't you know all of your knitting helped inspire me to get back at it? I just hope I'm done by the end of the year.

Mutti: In my country they call that "romantic" fever.

Cowboy: Here's another one we use on occasion: "Who made that abortion?"