Tuesday, March 23, 2010

We nearly survive one conference only to move on to the next



The real part of the conference is over and it seems to have gone well. At least I got not much sleep last week and sat around most of Friday and Saturday. But none of that sitting around involved embarrassed silences, so I'm counting it as a success.

Avram came and presented at the conference and brought his lovely wife Thora. We had a good time reliving old times of staying up way too late and eating Indian food.

The only problem was that I had forgotten about the Herderfreaks, so after Avram presented, one of them wanted to know why he hadn't mentioned this favorite philosopher. One must remember that after the complete edition of his works were published, the editor/compiler hung himself because there was nothing left to live for. Avram must has sensed this intensity because he played it off well. Fortunately the particular Herderfreak in question is actually quite nice and they reconciled during the break.



Now I'm off to "the spirit of" this weekend to sit around at another conference. But this time I won't have to worry about whether the tech is working and how drunk people will get at the conference dinner. Sounds like a good idea to me.

6 comments:

The Old Cowboy said...

Sounds like a success. Is this weekend St. Louis?

Aleatha Shannon said...

avram looks so scholarly! :D

Frau Magister said...

Cowboy: Yes, St. Louis.

Aleatha: Indeed - amazing what a little tweed will do!

Thora said...

Thanks for hosting us - we thoroughly enjoyed our visit - excepting perhaps the timely (for Wisconsin, at least) snow. Plus I like to hear myself as being referred to as lovely - it makes me want to be gracious, and live up to such an elegant adjective. I loved your feather bed, by the way. Plus your library - some day I dream of having a library.

REC said...

What the heck is a Herderfreak?
I am glad that it went well for you and that you were able to see your friends as well.

Frau Magister said...

A Herderfreak is a someone who likes the philosopher Herder, usually obsessively because he engenders a kind-of love/hate relationship.