Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Considering the reward is a Mary medallion, a little allegory seems appropriate

A little bit ago the organization for teenage girls in my church announced that it was going to add "virtue" to the list of "values" that every girl should posses. Much metaphorical ink has been spilled about this change (and even more about the change of the color of the booklet from lilac to pink). Of course, the question is, what is virtue, unless it's virtus, which certainly can't be what they're going for, can it?

So I was delighted to discover this early modern emblem with the personification of virtue as a woman:

For virtue there is everywhere a way


One
 that 
will 
the 
Vertue,
 see 
and 
feinde,
He 
mus
 nor 
care,
 for
 raine, 
and 
winde,
But 
come
 to 
labour, 
free 
and
 late,

Til 
he, 
her
 thus 
feind 
and 
get;

Lykewise 
if
 thou 
disirest 
to 
obtein,
Creistes Paradise 
which
is
 so
 fine,
So
 needst 
thou
 stil 
goe, and
 heare
 his 
woorde,

That 
time 
thou
 liuest
 in
 this 
World.


Someone really needs to make an emblem book for the values.

7 comments:

Carrie Nation said...

It's a temple medallion they give out these days.

But I like allegory. It would pretty much be lost on all of the participants, but allegory is good.

Frau Magister said...

Oh yeah, I think I heard that. Oh well. I'm trying to find emblems for the other values. We'll see how that goes.

REC said...

I sometimes tire of colors and emblems in the YW organization - All symbolism over substance in the end. I have seen to much floundering and change in my lifetime, I suppose.
The ancient one is, however, very interesting. also interesting how male-centered life was.
BTW - Just who can find a virtuous woman?

Equinox said...

This is awesome and I think you should be the one to make the emblem book for the values. Especially if it includes amazing images and poems like this one! I love it! Neat to have displayed somewhere. It would make a great lesson, especially for my oldest who is going into this organization in a couple of months. (I know, how time does fly—and just the other day I found the old cardboard footboard you made for her first violin lessons. : ) And the one she had you make for yourself. Nice memories of tiny violins and little-girl hair styles for a patient cousin came with that find. So sweet.) Thanks for the nice message.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Excellent. If I were involved in this pink-ish teenage girls organization, I would certainly hand out that emblem and teach the girls to pronounce the words as written in the poem.

The Old Cowboy said...

Quite appropriate.

Frau Magister said...

The masses have spoken - I've started the series.