Saturday, February 28, 2009

My First Ever Giveaway!!!!!:)

I'm not a mommy blogger, but I've decided to practice by hosting my own give away. Here are the rules:

On the sidebar is a list of the books I'm reading for my three classes (other than French 102). Leave your guesses as to what those three classes may be (based on my readings) in the comments. Those who guess correctly will receive a fabulous prize in the mail from moi.

10 comments:

Vanessa Swenson said...

I'm not sure about the classes, but I do know that I want to learn more about Mittelhochdeutsch and am jealous that you have a class requiring those books. Maybe I should take a German language history course.

Anonymous said...

Death, Dames and Diction. Try to stay awake, but don't take any of to heart or too seriously. Mutti

Carrie Nation said...

I can't guess, since I already know. But, I'm excited that you're reading Persepolis. Let me know how it is. We're going to watch the movie when the quarter's done. You seen it?

Frau Magister said...

We've got two winners! Vanessa gets it right with "Mittelhochdeutch" (Middle High German), which is in fact one of the classes I am taking.

Mutti wins for her entry "Death," which is in fact another one of my classes. Mostly "Death" in German literature, art, film, music, etc, but that doesn't stop us from taking on the rest of the world as well.

The last one I'm going to be a bit more picky about, since all the readings are in English. Mutti gave you a clue with "Dames." It's that class I'm reading "Persepolis" for (and watching the movie, which I haven't seen yet). I let you know, Carrie, how it is, although I'm not reading it until May.

linus said...

Mittelhochdeutch??!! You're so lucky! Oh well. I'm going to be taking a Papiamentu course next quarter :-p

Oneup said...

Special Topics in Women and the Humanities.

Frau Magister said...

Anni gets the course title of the last one - special topics women in the humanities. If anyone can guess what that topic is, I'll send you a prize too.

Anonymous said...

Something about Identity of women in cultures (both their own culture and that of others)? A couple of those books sound cool.

Der Meister guesses: "Women in the Humanities: woman as the other and the one—socio-cultural constructs of femininity and womanhood as inscribed by male hegemonic discourse, logocentric values, and ocular metaphors (i.e., the male gaze); the totalizing function of "literature" and "art" in the creation of gender and the indoctrination of belief in the tyranny of biology" OR "Dead White Males and the Women Who Love to Use Their Tools to Dismantle Their Houses"

Frau Magister said...

Wow - you guys managed to use the theoretical jargon associated with this course. For that you get a prize.

I'm enjoying my readings so far (although I would warn that some of them have more "adult situations" than others").

I'll give one more clue about my "Dames" course on "Special Topics in Women and the Humanities": we are studying a specific genre of women's writing.

Mary Ann said...

Dearest Frau Magister:

My guess for the elusive third course title: Queering the Memoir: Auto(erotic)biographies by Other(ed) Womyn.

The colon is a very important thing in academic titles.

Your blog is a drizzle of Creme Fraiche on the plate of my week.

Cheers

Rob